It can be heart-breaking to suspect a loved one may be suffering from a substance use disorder. The test below can guide you to determine if your loved one can benefit from an assessment with a professional or an intervention guided by our specialists. You are not alone – we are here to help. Along with substance abuse treatment we have a family program that can help you face this problem and get some relief.
If you answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, it is recommended that you obtain a professional evaluation of your adolescent for possible substance abuse or other issues that should be addressed.
- Are you unsure about what is normal related to a loved one’s alcohol or substance (Marijuana, Oxycontin, Valium, Cocaine, etc.) use?
- Is your loved one defensive when you try to discuss his/her alcohol or substance use?
- Does your loved one ask you to cover for him/her at work or school because alcohol or substance use has interfered with his/her attendance?
- Have you discovered alcohol or substances hidden in your home?
- Has your loved one ever driven under the influence of alcohol or substances?
- Does a loved one exhibit a “Jekyll and Hyde” personality when drinking alcohol or using substances?
- Has your loved one ever promised to stop drinking alcohol or stop using substances only to return to drinking or using?
- Does your loved one spend a lot of time at a bar/club with his/her friends? Does your loved one suffer from frequent hangovers?
- Have you noticed your loved one has increased the amount of alcohol he/she drinks?
- Has a loved one ever experienced the following after a period of not drinking alcohol or abstaining from using substances: irritability, nervousness, sleep difficulty, depressed mood, fatigue, and increased hand tremor, change in appetite, nausea, muscle aches or diarrhea?
- Does your loved one crave alcohol or substances?