Teens often exhibit intense and contradictory behavior as they navigate the maturation process. Unfortunately some turn to alcohol and substances. Sometimes substance abuse is not directly evident and manifests in behavioral changes. The quiz below is meant to help you to recognize some of these.
If you answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, it is recommended that you obtain a professional evaluation of your adolescent for possible substance abuse or other issues that should be addressed.
- Have you noticed an unexplained drop in grades?
- Has your son or daughter changed his/her set of friends and avoided introducing them to you?
- Have you noticed your teen developing exaggerated mood swings – becoming easily upset or angry or not being as happy as they once were?
- Has there been a change in level of your teen’s compliance/defiance – pushing limits, not doing chores, missing curfew, staying out late without calling, etc.?
- Has your teen become more secretive – sharing little or none of his/her personal life, locking his/her door, keeping a lock-box, etc.?
- Have you noticed your child spending more time alone or in his/her room than usual?
- Do you notice your son or daughter sleeping more than usual?
- Has your child’s physical hygiene declined?
- Has your child experienced a drastic weight loss or gain?
- Have you been informed that your son or daughter is skipping class, sleeping in school, not doing homework or declining in performance?
- Has your son or daughter begun to avoid family meals, religious activities, recreational trips, previously enjoyed activities?
- Has your teen begun selling possessions or does he/she seem to always have money without an identifiable source?